The interactive map is a web mapping service of the Linux Forks Minetest server. It offers satellite imagery, street maps, and route planning by foot or public transport.
The map can be found at:
- https://minetest.bananach.space/interactive/ (stable)
- https://notsyncing.net/maps.linux-forks.de/ (beta)
The main feature of the map is the satellite photo representation of the world, mapped from -7000,7000 to 7000,-7000.
Also, points of interest (stations, stores, ...) are automatically added from Wiki-pages with coordinate information in the info box.
Each layer can be turned on or off individually using the menu in the top right.
To link to a specific location, use the following URL scheme:
where base url is the URL to either the stable or the beta map, x and y are the coordinates, zoom is the requested zoom level, and note the description of a named marker to drop at the location when using the link.
The easiest way to get the URL is to use the jump-to feature and then copy the URL from the browser.
The map can be panned by holding down the left mouse button and dragging the map. Alternatively, it can be navigated using the arrow keys. The map can be zoomed using the scroll wheel or the +/- buttons in the top left corner.
To jump to direct coordinates, use the ⌖ button in the top left.
All map layers are searchable. To open the search pane, click on the 🔍 icon in the top left. Then enter your search term (city, street, point of interest) and click on the item to navigate to it.
Matching streets will be highlighted in red, and only related POI markers will be shown when searching.
Walking directions (beta)
The map allows for route planning. To use it, click anywhere on the world and click "route from" in the popup. Repeat the same for the destination location. If a route was found, the instructions will appear in the left pane along with a red path on the map itself.
The path chosen should always represent the shortest path available on registered roads.
Note: This feature doesn't work properly yet.
Tips and Tricks
- The map will update the streets and cities every 30 minutes. POI information is currently refreshed manually.
- Sometimes, the browser will cache this information for longer than 30 minutes. In this case, reload the page with Ctrl + Shift + R to flush the cache.
- Train lines (also for navigation). We're still looking for a good way to generate the necessary data, but it will come eventually.
- When searching for a POI and clicking it with the POI layer disabled, the popup will not show.
- Walking directions are
The map is designed and optimized for Chromium-based browsers, but it should also work in Firefox. Other browser are not officially supported and might not work.
The software for this map is 100% open source. The source code can be found on https://git.notsyncing.net:8080/markus/lifomapserver.